Drop Down MenusCSS Drop Down MenuPure CSS Dropdown Menu

Saturday, October 26, 2013

An Update On The 1938 Gator Football Season


Dorothy Schultz Gandy (SLHS '40) kept a scrapbook in her high school years that is filled with interesting items, including memorabilia from the 1938 football season.

One of the things I treasure is this program from the Sealy - Sugar Land football game.  It is the earliest program I have found.
  



I posted this newspaper account of the Sealy game a few weeks ago, but I'll include it here to save readers from searching for it.  I've also included an account of the East Bernard game, whose 75th anniversary is coming up in a few weeks.
 


I want to point out that the Gators played Sealy in Sugar Land on Friday, October 21st.  They played at 3:30 in the afternoon because Kempner Field had no lights.  (See the front page of the program.)  Lights weren't installed at Kempner until the next season.  I'm reasonably sure the East Bernard was a day game, too.  I've read a quote from T. C. Rozelle that the only Fort Bend County school with a lighted football field was Rosenberg.  He said playing at night felt a little odd since all other games were played during the afternoon.

One last thing.  I've read that bad blood ran between Sugar Land and Sealy in the 1920s when they first started playing football.  An old Sugar Land newspaper says officials called a halt to their first meeting when the teams started fighting.  Ernie Koy, Sr. played on the Sealy Tiger teams of that era, and he mentioned the fight in his recollection of early Sealy High football.