Drop Down MenusCSS Drop Down MenuPure CSS Dropdown Menu

Saturday, October 26, 2013

Dulles Vikings Scalp Santa Fe 50 Years Ago


The Vikings coasted to an easy victory over the Santa Fe Indians in Sugar Land 50 years ago this week.  I've got 3 newspaper articles on the game.  I think Leonard Scarcella wrote the last article which appeared in The Fort Bend Mirror.




As always, Rick Kirkpatrick's scrapbook is filled with interesting Dulles High School trivia.





I got a note this week from Travis Gandy (DHS '64) explaining the picture of him and other football players dressed as Indians.  His comments are appropriate since they were portraying the Santa Fe Indians.

Hey Chuck ... The pictures of K. Dinges, B. Husbands, T.V. Abercrombie, T. Frankie, and myself dressed up in costumes was not a freshman initiation. We dressed up as mascots of the teams in our district and we put on a skit, during a pep rally, showing how the Vikings were going to beat each team in our district. The capitans of the team (Ralph S., P. Horn, Bobby H., & K. Dinges) were dressed as Vikings. Tony, T.V. and myself were the Santa Fe Indians. At least that is how I remember it.  Travis

 Finally, I want to thank Rockwall resident, Jerry Anderson, for sending me this link.  It is an article on the Rockwall ISD Web site about the festivities honoring the State Champs earlier this month.  If you want a good view from the opposing side, be sure to check out the video clip.  I enjoyed it -- thanks, Jerry.

Rockwall defeated Commerce 50 years ago this week, but I couldn't find a newspaper account of the game.  However, I know Rockwall won.