Drop Down MenusCSS Drop Down MenuPure CSS Dropdown Menu

Saturday, October 12, 2013

The Dulles Juggernaut Continues To Roll In The Fall Of '63


Once again, I have just a brief newspaper account of the week's game, a Viking victory over Mt. Carmel.  Ralph Senior returned a kick off 65 yards for a TD.  Charles Hauerland and Red Binford also scored touchdowns, but Paul Horn got things rolling with a blocked punt for a safety.  You'll see a picture of Paul in his post-football days in a blog post just below this one.
   

 
I have more Dulles tidbits from the fall of '63.  (They are all Fort Bend Mirror clippings from Rick Kirkpatrick's scrapbook.  Thanks, Rick.)  Freshman initiation was the big deal 50 years ago.
  

An 'automotive float' in the Fort Bend County Fair Parade was a long-standing tradition of the Viking Shield staff.  I know it lasted through my years in the late '60s and into the early 1970s.
 
 
Last week I forgot this item about the twirlers.  I assume it's out of sequence in the scrapbook.  It must have appeared in late August or early September before the season started.  I think I remember the 'eye-catching struts.'
 
 
Charlotte Hancock wrote a regular column called "From Behind The Shield."  She tackled the thorny issue of home room period in this one.  No doubt Mr. Fisher ordered her to help quell grumbling in the ranks about home room being a drag.
 
 
Here are two items about Eric, the school's giant fiber-glass mascot.  I haven't skipped ahead, but I imagine we'll hear something about his debut later in the season.   To be honest, I'd forgotten he was purchased during the '63 season.
 

 
Finally, we have 'cool stools.'  I'm happy to say we have one in the Sugar Land Museum, thanks to Linda Hagler Mosk (DHS '68).  
 
 
Rockwall didn't play 50 years ago this week, so there's nothing to report from their season.  We'll catch up with them next week.