Drop Down MenusCSS Drop Down MenuPure CSS Dropdown Menu

Saturday, October 26, 2013

More People Of Old Sugar Land

  
I've posted the following photo of the 1935 flood a few months ago.  It shows the torrent of water flowing through Dam #2, also known as Coburn's dam.  

I'm reposting it now because I found a negative, which gives a much clearer image.  If you zoom in, you can see the faces of the men and boys on the bridge



I posted a different photo of this work crew last week.  I found a similar picture in the Imperial Crown dated March 1956.  I've included it here since it has a caption listing the men appearing in the photo.


I found an article in the October 1970 Crown about Cosme Gonzales, Imperial's oldest retiree at that time.  Further searching turned up a good picture of him and his wife, which I've included with the article.  Obviously, it was taken for the article but not used.  Notice he was a bugler in the revolutionary army that overthrew Diaz in Mexico.



Imperial employee, Joe Lee Mills.

Sugar Land Lions Club Meeting in the early 1960s.

Sugar Land Lions Club Meeting in the early 1960s.

1948 Sugar Land High Prom. (Thanks go to Tom Woolley whose mother Ellen is in the front row 2nd from the right.)