Drop Down MenusCSS Drop Down MenuPure CSS Dropdown Menu

Monday, April 12, 2010

Vietnam Veterans Virtual Memorial Wall - Arthur Medina, DHS '69


Donna Christopher Baker (DHS '63) sent me a link to the Virtual Vietnam Memorial Wall. I looked up Arthur Medina who was in the '69 senior class at Dulles High School. I knew Arthur as a manager on the football team. He was a quiet, likable boy. I'd always heard he died in Vietnam, but never confirmed it. Well, he's listed on the Wall. Apparently, he didn't die in combat. It must have been some sort of accident.


There is another boy, Pedro Moreno Ortiz, from Stafford in the list, but I can't find him in the Dulles yearbooks I have.

CPL Arthur Medina, Stafford, TX

4 comments:

  1. Chuck - it looks like Arthur Medina died in a non-combat role, but looking at the link, he's got the Combat Infantry Badge (CIB) and the 101st Airborne Patch.

    You only get the CIB by toting a rifle and being in combat contact with the enemy. He may have succumbed to a vehicle accident, but he definitely was involved with action against the enemy.

    The fact that he was willing to sign up says all that needs to be said about this brave young Viking. Thanks to you for bringing this to others' attention.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Arthur, for your service. And God bless the Medina family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I sent them Arthur's picture from the '69 Viking Yearbook, but they haven't posted it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I visited the Vietnam War Memorial wall in DC (about 20 years ago?), I did a rubbing of Arthur's name. I wish I still had it - don't know what happened to it. I remember Arthur because he worked at a small grocery store in the neighborhood we lived in Stafford. He was a really nice guy. I've never forgotten him.

    ReplyDelete