Drop Down MenusCSS Drop Down MenuPure CSS Dropdown Menu

Saturday, March 31, 2012

Old School House in Mayfield Park


I received a message this week from Carmen Flores Perez (DHS '67) asking if I had any info on the school for Hispanic children located in Mayfield Park back in the '20s through the '50s.  

I can't find the references right now, but I know T. C. Rozelle had these photos of a building that was said to be the school house in question.  (I'm still researching this topic, so I hope to get an answer.)  

I think I have a photo of the Hispanic school out at Grand Central.  I'm almost certain Roland Rodriguez, Sr. (SLHS '49) is in it.  I understand these schools were early bi-lingual programs.  Children whose primary language was Spanish and whose English was limited, attended these schools.  As soon as their Engish skills improved, they went to the main campus on Lakeview Drive.

I know from a biography of Felix Tijerina (the Houston restauranteur) that Sugar Land had a Little School of 400 in the mid-1950s.  Tijerina was the driving force in this state-wide effort.  He attended the opening of the school.  I'll dig out the quotes from the book and post them in the future.  It's an interesting story.



 

4 comments:

  1. Alfredo De La Cruz JrAugust 21, 2012 at 3:07 PM

    The school was known as the "Westside Elementary and was located approximately across from the Park behind Imperial Sugar. It was a 2 story building with a fire escape slid in the back of the school. Kids attended the school there from the 1st thru 4th grade and then attended Lakeview Elementary. The building had Oyster Creek in the back and prison property was across the creek. I went to that school.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the information. I will try to find photos of the school.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for this information! I am aware of the old Hispanic cemetery in Sugar Creek, but where did Sugar Land Hispanics live? Yocel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hispanics who worked as tenant farmers lived all over Sugarland Industries property. I think several families lived out at Grand Central, not far from the Cemetery. Those who lived in town lived in Mayfield Park, which was known as the Quarters until the late 20th century.

      Delete