Drop Down MenusCSS Drop Down MenuPure CSS Dropdown Menu

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Sugar Land Defeats Katy 48-0 in 1951 Match Up


The Gators raised their record to 2 wins & no losses with an overwhelming victory over the Katy Tigers at Kempner Field in mid-September of 1951. Unfortunately, I don't have a clipping or any memorabilia from this game.

Since I don't have anything, I thought I'd indulge in some ancient history.  This next item is T. C. Rozelle's recollections of the early days of Sugar Land High School football.  As you'll see, it was part of an Imperial-Holly ad from the 1970s.
 

I know from other sources that the 1st SLISD school superintendent Caryn Foreman (sister of famed defense attorney, Percy Foreman) was adamently opposed to starting a football team in the 1920s.  She finally relented, but insisted the players, their parents & fans raise funds for the team.  She wasn't going to give them any money from the school funds.

T. C. mentions the Pep Squad.  He saved a picture of the group in his archive.  His older sisters, Mary & Mildred, were members.  Mary annotated a picture with their names.  Here it is.  (I think these girls are great - not what I'd expected from Sugar Land of the 1920s.)


I don't have any info on the origins of M. R. Wood football.  I think they started playing in the late '40s or early '50s, but nothing definite yet.