Drop Down MenusCSS Drop Down MenuPure CSS Dropdown Menu

Friday, September 30, 2011

Sugar Land's Old West End Ball Park


Sugar Land's new Class A minor league baseball team, The Skeeters, are building their new park on the north bank of Oyster Creek east of Highway 6.  Don't worry, I've got a diagram from their Web site that shows the layout.

I've annotated the diagram to show where Sugar Land's old ball park stood on the west side of town.  It's the red square on the south bank of Oyster Creek behind Nalco. You can see it wasn't too far from the new park's location.


Here's an early photo (mid 1920's, I think) of the west side of town.  I've annotated the locations of the old & new parks.  (The new park is actually closer to the creek behind that curve in the bank, but this is the best I could do with the freebie drawing tool I have.)


I wish I had some good photos of the old park, but these are the best I can do.  This first picture shows the Sugar Land Tigers, a team from the 1960s.  You can see the stands in the background.


These next photos come from the 1968 Viking yearbook.  Dulles High School played its home games at the old park during the 1960s.