Drop Down MenusCSS Drop Down MenuPure CSS Dropdown Menu

Sunday, August 1, 2010

Sugar Land Church Picnic & Valerie's Birthday Party


Once again, thanks to Mary Shelton and her daughter Nancy for letting me use this video. The first half shows a combined Presbyterian & Methodist church picnic, some time in the mid-1950s. I think the location is the old First Methodist Church on the corner of 4th & Main Streets. Herbert took more home movies of this event, which I'll post later. You may have to play it a few times to pick out people because things go by pretty quick.


The last half shows a birthday party for Valerie Shelton in the mid-1950s. Sugar Land members of the '66 graduating class of Dulles High School should recognize themselves in the video. I can't be certain of the year, but the location is the Shelton home on Venice Street.

I just noticed that the old Sugar Land garbage truck appears in this video. (At about 27 seconds.) It's the orange truck in the background of a quick shot toward the street. I wish I could identify the garbage man. Does anyone else remember the story that Johnny Armstrong would ride on the garbage truck as it made the rounds on The Hill? His mother put a football helmet on him so he could ride on the back bumper with the crew. I guess if he fell off the helmet would protect him. Maybe this story is untrue. I can't remember who told it.

Video of Church Picnic & Valerie's Birthday Party