Drop Down MenusCSS Drop Down MenuPure CSS Dropdown Menu

Friday, August 13, 2010

Dulles Homecoming Dance, Fall of 1962


Donna Christopher Baker (DHS '63) sent me this picture of the '62 homecoming dance. She said they had a 'prison band' (inmates at the farm west of Sugar Land) who received cigarettes as payment. It looks to me as if the Knights of Columbus Hall in Sugar Land (on the 2nd floor of the old Salvage Building) was the venue.
From left-to-right: Bill Broughton ('62), Donna Christopher ('63), Ray Miller ('62), Pat Schiller ('65), Norman Wood ('63), B.J. Binford ('61), C.T. Renfrow ('62), & Sherry Blackburn ('62).


(Update) I knew I'd heard someone else mention a prison band at a homecoming dance. Here's a comment Larry Gilbert ('61) made on the Dulles Alum Site. "Some may recall that I designed and coordinated the first Jr./Sr. prom at Dulles HS. Some may also remember the Prison Farm Band (Clemens Unit) my dad helped me round up to perform at "intermission." They sounded like 'The Coasters.' Guards brought them in a cattle truck, and I remember well that people weren't happy when they had to leave."