Drop Down MenusCSS Drop Down MenuPure CSS Dropdown Menu

Monday, August 9, 2010

View of Sugar Land's Commerical District, 1940s


This is a view of 'downtown' Sugar Land in the late '30s or early '40s. The camera is pointed westward from a floor of the Char House. The building at the bottom (with just its tin roof showing) are the Offices of Imperial Sugar & Sugarland Industries. Across the parking lot is the building which housed the drug store, barber shop & other establishments. Further west is the Mercantile Store (you see only its roof) and then the bakery & cafe. The next (large, white) building is the meat market & produce store. At the top in the far background is the cotton gin.


(I hope I've got this right. Any corrections/comments/amplifications are welcome. I was a very small baby when most of this was razed in the early 1950s. All I remember is the Farm & Home Center and The Red Barn Cafe.)

My thanks to Jackie James for this picture.