Drop Down MenusCSS Drop Down MenuPure CSS Dropdown Menu

Monday, August 30, 2010

1957-58 Sugar Land Girls Basketball Team


Louise (Short) Grace, girls basketball coach at SLHS, sent me a note recently asking if I had any pictures of the girls basketball team that went to the state tournament in 1958. The Binford sisters (Joyce & B.J.) have sent me some snapshots from that era - my thanks to them for providing these pictures. They show the team playing in a tournament in Eagle Lake. (Sugar Land is wearing white uniforms. We're not sure who the opponent is.)

Athletic success at Sugar Land High School wasn't confined to men's sports. SLHS's girls basketball teams of the late '50s were a raging success, going to the State Tournament in '58. Georgia Binford and Melva Kelton were All-State selections in 1958. Georgia Binford won the Babe Didrikson Zaharias Award as an outstanding female amateur athlete in 1958.

I'm sure I have more pictures. These were the easiest to find.

I recognize Joan Bourg, and I think that's Georgia Binford. (Joyce will have to forgive me, but she and Georgia looked so much alike back then that I can't always tell them apart. She and B.J. can help me here.) Oops, I almost forgot. That's Sue Loper wearing a scarf (on the right).