Drop Down MenusCSS Drop Down MenuPure CSS Dropdown Menu

Monday, August 13, 2012

Frank J. "Tex" Schlueter


Anyone with a sharp eye will have noticed that a man named Schlueter took numerous photos of early Sugar Land.  I've found some information on him.  His name was Frank J. "Tex" Schlueter. He grew up in Flatonia. Here's an early photo of him with one of his cameras. (He used a panoramic camera, too.)


Here's a later photo of him with his car.  I'm sure he put a lot of miles on it.  (I believe the label says he's on Texas Avenue in Houston.  I'm pretty sure that's the Rice Hotel in the background.  It's the tallest building.)


Here's a photo of his studio in Houston.  Unfortunately, I haven't determine the address, yet.

(Update) I've found annotated photos that suggest Schlueter's studio was located at 3617 Main Street in Houston.  This may, or may not be that address.


I looked through a selection of photographs available online (the Houston Area Digital Archive at the Houston Public Library) and found this series of dated photos. He took them all on the same day, November 21, 1935.  Check the annotations. He probably took many more photos at other locations that day, but they weren't included in the online selection.

Here are two photos annotated "Sugar Land Oil Field."  I'm certain they show the Humble Camp field on the east bank of the Brazos River below Sugar Land.



He took the next photo on the same day on the other side of the River. 



I know there was a ferry in that area that was discontinued sometime in the '30s.  I presume it was still in operation.  If not, he drove up to Richmond and crossed there, then drove down Thompsons Highway to get to the Thompson field on the west bank of the River.  This photo is annotated as Rabbs Ridge. I'm not sure exactly where the well would have been, but Schlueter was definitely covering both sides of the River that day.
 

7 comments:

  1. Rabbs Ridge is the original name for Thompson Field.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you come across anything on a guy by the name of HIGBY I'd like to know. He took several photos of Texas City but I can't find anything on the guy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Google map 3617 Main, the building (his studio) is still there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been researching Schlueter. Have never seen him referred to as "Tex". Wondering where you found that?
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeff - I've been trying to find the reference for that, and I've been unsuccessful so far. I'm almost certain it was in an online article about his early life in Flatonia. I'll keep my eye out for it because I'm still researching his work. I'm hoping he took more photos of early Sugar Land than the SL Museum has in its collection. CK

      Delete
  5. Hi! He was my great great uncle (my great grandfather's uncle). I've never heard him referred by "Tex" in my family.

    ReplyDelete