Drop Down MenusCSS Drop Down MenuPure CSS Dropdown Menu

Sunday, January 5, 2014

Aerial Photographs Taken On February 28, 1941


I've had a chance to obtain digital copies of aerial photographs of Fort Bend County taken on February 28th, 1941.  The Sugar Land Heritage Foundation has printed copies of these (and other aerial photos taken on different dates), but they have deteriorated considerably.

My long-term goal is to create a collection of images which overlay current maps on the old photos -- thereby highlighting the locations of 'lost landmarks' in our area.

Here is my initial attempt, an aerial image showing the location of old Grand Central.  (I've posted items about this location before, but you'll recall it was the hub of Sugarland Industries farming and ranching operations southeast of town.)  I'll need to do more tweaking before I settle on an optimal approach.

The new streets and roads are obvious in the image.  If you look closely, you'll see Blair Road in the photograph.  It's the faint gray line running east-to-west on the south boundary of Grand Central.  It ran all the way to Lester Road, or what is today called Dulles Avenue.  (I'll have to develop a technique for highlighting old roads, so they are distinguishable from today's streets and roads.)