Drop Down MenusCSS Drop Down MenuPure CSS Dropdown Menu

Sunday, January 5, 2014

Wrapping Up The 1938 Sugar Land Gators Football Season


Over the autumn months I've posted items about the Sugar Land Gator 1938 football season.  They won the school's first district title 75 years ago, but then lost their bi-district championship game to Alvin.  

Unfortunately, I don't have a newspaper clipping for that game.  However, I do have a wrap-up article Morris Frank, long-time Houston Chronicle sports reporter, wrote about the post-season sports banquet.  In many ways, it's much better than a game report.  At the bottom of this item is a good, clear image of the 1938 team's starting line up.  Alfred Tarver's daughter provided it via her cousin Carlos Tarver (SLHS '53).  Unfortunately, I've forgotten her name, but I want to thank her nonetheless.