Drop Down MenusCSS Drop Down MenuPure CSS Dropdown Menu

Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Opening of Highway 90-A in 1927/28


I've written an article for the City of Sugar Land on the history of Highway 90-A as it relates to Sugar Land. They haven't published it yet. If they decide not to publish it, I'll produce it here. At this point I'll show you the pictures I submitted with the article.


.
The photo above shows a paving crew working in Sugar Land just east of Oyster Creek. I'm too lazy to look up the exact date, but it's around 1927.



This next photo shows paving underway west of the Brooks Street intersection.



The photo above shows cars waiting for the new highway to open after the ribbon-cutting ceremony in Sugar Land, which appears next. I can't be certain where these cars are parked, but I suspect it is near the intersection of Eldridge and Highway 90-A.



This last photo shows dignitaries cutting the ribbon just east of Oyster Creek where Main Street and Bayview intersect Highway 90-A. I can identify I.H. Kempner, Sr. (next to the right-hand door of the car) and William T. Eldridge (one man stands between him and Kempner), but I don't know who the others are. I assume they are representatives from Fort Bend County and the State Highway Commission.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete