Drop Down MenusCSS Drop Down MenuPure CSS Dropdown Menu

Sunday, February 17, 2013

A Few Updates On Previous Posts


Carol Goehring Terral (DHS '67) made the following comment about The Salvage: 

"Just wanted to let you know a little something about the KC hall in the old salvage building.  My husband and I married on Oct 8, 1967 and we used that hall for our wedding reception.  It had the stairs at that time and I threw my bouquet to the girls from the top of those stairs.  My mom said that she remembers my uncles using the BBQ pits outside the building to BBQ the chickens for my reception. The room had really nice hardwood floors.  I remember one of my brothers, who was about 9 years old then, ruining his brand new dress slacks by sliding on his knees on the floor during my wedding reception.  In the hall there was a large stage.  

My parents had a few of my birthday parties there when I was little.  And I had dance classes there when I was about 5 years old where Mrs. Baker was the teacher.  I also remember going to some teen dances there when I was in my teens.  So my family used that hall quite a bit when I was younger."

Marsha Krause Smith (DHS '68) talked with Margaret Dierks Phillips (SLHS '53) who cleared up a few of my questions about the Dierks homes on Highway-90A.  

Margaret's family lived in a house where the old Frost Bank building is located.  There were two houses separated by a 'vacant lot.' The other house was situated about where the parking lot for Windstream is located.  Her uncle, Charles 'Charlie' Dierks, and aunt lived in the second house for a short while. 

Margaret's father was Hans 'Fritz' Dierks.  They moved into that house during WWII - she remembers they had a victory garden in the back.  She said Mr. Max Schumann who lived on 4th Street had a big victory garden near their house.   He didn't have room for a garden at his house on 4th Street because of the chickens and the cow he raised in his backyard.

One more thing: I said in an earlier post that the Imperial Valley Railway ran on a narrow-gauge track.  Here's a link to the post.  I was wrong.  Notice the news article says Eldridge also owned the Asherton & Gulf Railroad.  I've found a photo of the gasoline-powered Brill car Eldridge purchased for that railroadClick here to view it.  As you can see, it was a standard-gauge car.  An identical car ran on the Sugar Land Railway.