Drop Down MenusCSS Drop Down MenuPure CSS Dropdown Menu

Sunday, February 17, 2013

More From The Dierks Family Scrapbook


I've borrowed more photos from the Dierks family scrapbook.  Thank you, Margaret Phillips.  

When I first saw the following picture, I noticed a couple of things that led me to think it showed construction of a home on Imperial Blvd.  


After a closer look, I think it shows the construction of a Dierks home on the south side of Highway-90A near the present location of the Windstream and old Frost Bank buildings.  I've learned there were two Dierks family homes in that area; I can't be sure which one this is, but if I'm correct, that's Highway-90A behind the barbed wire fence.  The Salvage Buildings are in the background.  It's hard to see, but there's a billboard promoting Imperial Sugar in front of the buildings.

Here are three pictures of the dredging operations south of Highway-90A.  I don't have an exact date, but it's sometime in the early 1920s.  Although it's not a good picture, you can see in the last one (which was probably taken in or around Alkire Lake), they had to dredge some very marshy areas with primitive equipment.