Drop Down MenusCSS Drop Down MenuPure CSS Dropdown Menu

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Sugar Land Volunteer Fire Department



I found these photos of the Sugar Land Volunteer Fire Department in the Anhaiser archive. The first picture was taken in 1948, as indicated by the label. I recognize several faces, but not all of them. I never went in the old fire house, which stood just east of the first Eldridge home by the Char House. The second photo may date from the '50s or '60s. Again, more faces I recognize, but not all of them.



These next photos show the old fire truck ridden by EVERY child in Sugar Land at Christmas time. You see Soapy Borowski and Johnny Plokuda in the first picture. I assume the rides started in 1952, when the 'new' shopping center opened. Maybe the last photo dates from '51 or '52 when they started the tradition.