Drop Down MenusCSS Drop Down MenuPure CSS Dropdown Menu

Sunday, April 9, 2017

News & Updates

I have three regrettable pieces of news to pass along.  I forgot to include this first one in the last batch of posts, but Mr. Pat Gibbons died a few weeks ago.  Many of us who attended Dulles High School and many who had some connection with FBISD knew Mr. Gibbons. He was a wonderful teacher and an admirable man. My sincerest condolences and prayers go to his family. It was always a treat to see him at our later class reunions. Click here to read an obituary.

(from the '68 Viking yearbook)

I also want to note the passing of Nancy Krachala Landry, who grew up on The Hill in Sugar Land, but moved to Richmond where she graduated from Lamar Consolidated. Here's some background her cousin Dorothy Syblik (DHS '68) sent me:
My cousin Nancy Krachala Landry died in March.  She was the daughter of Millie and Frank Krachala and sister of Emmett Krachala and Ida Krachala Porter.  Frank worked for Imperial Sugar until he retired.  Both Emmett and Ida graduated from Sugar Land High School.  Nancy went to school in Sugar Land until high school when the family moved from 'the hill' to Richmond.  She was forced to graduate from our rival, Lamar High School.  She is survived by her husband, three children and five grand children. 
Click this link to view an obituary. My condolences go to the Landry family as they grieve their loss.

One last item before moving to happier things, Harold Sollock, friend of the DHS Class of '67 passed away recently. (Thank you, Tommy Laird, for bringing this to my attention.) It's ironic that a photo of Harold appears in the Dulles Rodeo album. (See the post below.) He's the boy on the far right in the photo from the '63 Viking yearbook.
  
On a happier note, I'd like to congratulate my first grade teacher, Maxene Gary, on her recent birthday. It was her 90th. Here's a photo from her 'golden era' followed by a recent photo (also golden).

1st grade Sugar Land Elementary 1957.
Standing behind Maxene are daughter Sheryl, sister Beverly, grandson Jonathan, & son-in-law David Lambert.
 
I want to mention something I missed when I wished her a happy birthday last November. Shirley Laird celebrated her 95th back then and is well on her way to her 96th!