Drop Down MenusCSS Drop Down MenuPure CSS Dropdown Menu

Sunday, November 20, 2011

Photo of The Palms Theater During Construction


I came across this photo a few weeks ago while reviewing my photo archive.  I'd forgotten I had it.  The date is 1949.  I talked to Carol Goehring at one of the Farmer's Markets recently.  She told me a lot about The Palms.  She said their home, which many will remember sat behind the Theater on Guenther Street, was originally a commercial building.  Maybe that's it on the east side of the Theater.  (Note the slanting roof.)  

The Palms had a major fire 6 months after it opened.  The Cole Theater chain made extensive repairs & reopened it in mid 1950.  White's Cafe is on the west side of Ulrich St.  It looks like the Ice House is the easternmost building in the picture.  Note the flower bed along the railroad tracks with Sugar Land spelled out in it.