Drop Down MenusCSS Drop Down MenuPure CSS Dropdown Menu

Monday, November 28, 2011

Early Photo of Sugar Land's Old Commercial District


I found this undated photo in my files.  I think Mr. Matlage took it, but I'm not absolutely certain.  It shows the location where the Farmer's Markets are now sited.  

Of course, all the buildings in this photo are long gone.  The building on the left is the old produce store.  It was a bar & pool hall before becoming a store.  The building in the center is the old Mercantile Store, which essentially sold everything but produce, meat, baked goods & drugs. The building labeled, "My private offices," is the Imperial main office.  (I think Mr. Matlage was making a joke.  He was the company chemist at the time.)

Notice the dirt street (Sugar Land Street).  Also note the fellow on the horse in front of the Mercantile Store.  I'm not sure what the note in the lower left means.  I don't know who 'Perdue' was.