Drop Down MenusCSS Drop Down MenuPure CSS Dropdown Menu

Monday, November 14, 2011

Northeast Sugar Land


A Sugar Land resident who subscribes to Facebook sent me a question about the area where she lives: Barrington Place, which is on the east side of Eldridge Rd where it intersects West Airport Boulevard.  She wondered if it had much historical significance.  I remember it as pasture land where Sugarland Industries raised cattle.  I recall hunting doves with my grandfather (Kelly) in that area during the mid 1950s.  

I don't have any real good pictures of the area, or ones I can confidently identify as from that location, but I do have an aerial photo from 1956, which shows what it looked like then.  I've made some annotations.  

Its principal historical relevance is that Benjamin Franklin Terry's Oakland Plantation stood somewhere in the vicinity.  I think most experts agree it was in present-day Covington Woods.  There is alot of online info about Terry & his involvement in the Civil War.

(Update) I now recall reading in a historical source (can't remember which) that Terry was a horse racing fanatic.  He had a race track somewhere near his plantation.  I doubt it was much more than a level piece of land with jumps & other obstacles.  It may have included a paddock, but I doubt there were any stands for spectators.

(Update) My aunt, Mayme Rachuig Hause, sent me a note reminding me that several people pastured their horses out on West Airport Boulevard, or more accurately, the dirt road that became West Airport.  It's hard to tell in the picture, but I see what could be a dirt road out there.  Note the structures, that could be horse barns.

[Be sure to use the magnify icon under the album title to enlarge the photos.]