Drop Down MenusCSS Drop Down MenuPure CSS Dropdown Menu

Monday, August 24, 2015

More Images of Old Sugar Land


Story Sloane posted the following photo (without restrictions) on Facebook recently, and I thought it gave a spectacular view down Oyster Creek.  I don't have a firm date, but my guess is roughly 1950.
 
(Story Sloane Collection)
 
I've magnified the Belknap area, which shows the sparse development of that section of town.
 
(Story Sloane Collection)
This magnification shows the area that's now Sugar Lakes and the Fluor complex.  Of course, the norther edge of what's become First Colony is in the deep background.
 
(Story Sloane Collection)
 
When I researched the stereoscopic photo I posted a few weeks ago, I examined the next two images.  I'm not sure if I've posted them before, but I thought I'd post them now with comparisons of what the locations look like today.  I think these are very early photos showing the Cunningham Refinery before Kempner and Eldridge took over the plant in 1908.
 
(Click here for modern view.)

(Click here for modern view.)

This last photo shows old Imperial Boulevard as it looked just a few years after the two photos shown above.  I've included a modern view.
 
(Click here for modern view.)