Drop Down MenusCSS Drop Down MenuPure CSS Dropdown Menu

Wednesday, July 15, 2015

News & Updates


I regret that I have bad news to report.  Jesse Rayburn Morton, long-time Sugar Land resident passed away recently.  You may know his children: Gayle Morton Adler (DHS '65), Jesse M. Morton (DHS '67),  Janice Morton Padgett (DHS '70), and Lesa Morton Tyson.  (I'm not sure of Lesa's graduation year.)  Here is an obituary for Mr. Morton

Sandra Broughton Gandy (MCHS '59) also passed away recently.  Sandra was older sister to Bill Broughton (DHS '63) & Diane Broughton Lundell (DHS '65).  I'm not certain when sisters Jane Broughton Schiller and Joan Broughton Vaccaro graduated from MCHS.  Here is an obituary for Sandra.

My sincerest condolences go to the Morton and Broughton families for their loss of cherished family members.

Many old timers may have heard that Frances and Charlie Tise (SLHS '48) lost their home and most of their belongings in the devastating floods on Memorial Weekend in May.  They live in Wimberly and barely escaped the rampaging Blanco River.  Fortunately, their granddaughter lived near them and help them escape danger, and I think Charlie's brother Earl was able to give them shelter.
  

 
David Wickersham (DHS '63) has told me they are getting mail at their home address, so if you'd like to contact them please post a comment on this blog, and I'll send you their address.  (I'm reluctant to post it on an open blog.)  I'm sure they'd like to hear from friends. 

David also gave me some help identifying a fellow JC in the following photograph. Here's what he said:

Sorry to hear about Charles Thomas.  In the picture he and the others are wearing Jaycee hats so it must have been one of the many public events we worked at.  The one in the middle is Louis Mullberger (sp).  I do not know the other one; he looks like me but I do not remember being there.  We were all in the JCs around that time.
 
 
Jackie James (SLHS '57) has confirmed John Pauswang's (DHS '67) recollection that 'CU' was the brand used by Sugarland Industries.  She's trying to get me a photo of a sign on FM 359 showing the turn off to Foster Farms, which the Kempner family still owns.  The brand is included in the sign's artwork.

Here are a links to the Katy Heritage Society and their yearly bulletin, which serves as an annual report.  I never realized until recently that a large part of old Katy is in Fort Bend County.  I always assumed all of it was in Harris County.