Drop Down MenusCSS Drop Down MenuPure CSS Dropdown Menu

Thursday, March 7, 2013

Dinky Schedule in 1924


A friend asked me recently about the Brill rail car shown in a recent post.  He wondered if it was the 'Dinky' commuter train that ran between Houston and San Antonio until the early 1950s.  (I'm not exactly when the train service began, but it must have been sometime in the early 20th century.)  The answer is no; the Dinky was not a special car.

The Dinky was a local freight train that ran on the S&P track along Highway-90A and included one or two passenger cars.  I've found an abbreviated schedule in a copy of the Texas Commercial News published on November 8th, 1924.  (My thanks go to Billie and Buddy Blair for letting me scan their copy.)

As you can see, it made 4 regular stops at the Sugar Land depot: 2 eastbound and 2 westbound.  Also note the flag stops.  One was at noontime for a train that made flag stops west of Rosenberg.