Drop Down MenusCSS Drop Down MenuPure CSS Dropdown Menu

Tuesday, January 1, 2013

The First Sugar Land City Hall


The Sugar Land Museum has this photo hanging on one of its walls.  It shows the first Sugar Land City Hall sometime in 1959/60.  It was located on Kempner Street near the present location of the weekly Farmer's Market.  Old timers will remember it was once a shoe repair shop.

Note the Cordes Cleaners delivery truckSince the phone number is just 3 digits long, this photo was probably taken in 1959, but of course, Roy Cordes may have been slow to repaint the number.

  

1 comment:

  1. I got the following note from David (Davenport) Wickersham: "The pictue of the Cordes Clean truck brought back memories. My first real job was driving that delivery truck after school. Freddie Warnke was driving it and when he was in the last of his senior year, he was told by Mr. Cordes to find a new driver and train him. I got the call. I drove all four years of high school and made $7.00 a week to deliver after school and wait on customers on Saturday mornings. When I got paid, I put $5.00 in the credit union and bought a chocolte sundie at Rouses' drug store. I drove that old truck until Mr. Cordes bought a new Chevy van. I wrecked it the first day I drove it because Roy Jr., was riding with me and he wanted an ice cream. So I was backing up to turn around and hit a parked car. Not alot of damage and Mr. Cordes never really said much about it. Larry Warnke was my replacement. David"

    ReplyDelete