Drop Down MenusCSS Drop Down MenuPure CSS Dropdown Menu

Sunday, August 12, 2012

The Matlages


Mr. W. T. Matlage, Sr. was born in Rosenberg in 1890.  He came to Sugar Land early in the 20th century as a chemist/lab technician for Imperial Sugar.  Before long, he became the town's druggist.  

I've posted several items in the past about Mr. Matlage, but I looked through some old photos recently and found a collection contributed by Tracey Matlage Calvert, the Matlages' granddaughter.  My thanks go to her for providing these scans to my brother. 

I like these particularly because Mrs. Matlage appears in them.  All the kids in our neighborhood loved Mrs. Matlage -- she often had cookies or other treats for us.



I found this in the album, too.  It's a patch for the civilian women's observer corps.  These were volunteers who watched the skies during WWII.  My paternal grandmother was also a member, although we don't have her patch.


The Sugar Land group met at the small building that served as a community center just off Highway-90A.  It stood roughly where the city park is now located, behind the Shell station where Bayview intersects the Highway.