Drop Down MenusCSS Drop Down MenuPure CSS Dropdown Menu

Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Rice Football, 1957


Some of you know that Bobby Williams (Missouri City High School '53) played on Rice University's last Cotton Bowl team.  Alas, they lost to Navy 20 - 7 in 1958.

I've brought this up because I follow a blog dedicated to Rice University history, and the historian who writes it is doing a series of articles on Rice's '57 football season.  She's found a scrapbook one of the Rice cheerleaders kept as a record of the Owls' triumphal season.  Since I'm a Rice grad and interested in sports history, it's all great stuff to me.

Here's an item that may have some local interest.  Carolyn McCord Williams (SLHS '54) and Bobby were married before the '57 season started.  The Houston Press ran this undated photo of women married to players on the Rice team.  Note Carolyn in the upper left of the photo.


There are more items relating to Bobby Williams.  I'll post them during football season.