Drop Down MenusCSS Drop Down MenuPure CSS Dropdown Menu

Saturday, September 4, 2010

Chuzzy Jenkins Leaves Gator Football in 1954


I'm grateful to Dot Hightower and her daughter Scotty for giving me this scan from their family scrapbook. As you'll see, it's a newspaper article announcing Chuzzy Jenkins's departure as head coach at SLHS. Dugan Hightower followed him as Gator head coach.


The article is not quite correct. Chuzzy didn't enter the insurance business. He went to work for Cost Paint & Lacquer Company in Houston. He returned to Sugar Land and became a teacher, coach, and eventually principal in FBISD.

(Update) I got a note from Leon Anhaiser (SLHS '57) pointing out an error in the article. The Gators didn't abandon the Notre Dame Box. They continued using it through their last season in 1958. I knew this from watching game film I've posted earlier, so I wondered if going to the T Formation was a failed experiment or never happened. I'm going to talk with Leon and other players about this soon.