Drop Down MenusCSS Drop Down MenuPure CSS Dropdown Menu

Saturday, September 4, 2010

Belknap Realty Opens Alkire Lake To Residential Development


How times have changed!

(Update) I got the following note from Marsha Krause Smith (DHS '68). Many of you will remember that the Krauses lived out at Alkire. Here's what Marsha said: "
One note about the Alkire Lake article - it didn't "open" the Alkire development - sounded more like it was the last bits available. We moved into our house in September, 1954 - Mother & Daddy must've bought the lot a year or two before that (allowing for the construction time). The Kamps had already moved out there. Mother & Ruth were room mothers at the West University school where Sandra & Charlie went. At the end of May, Mother made the comment "see you in September" or something to that effect, and Ruth said that they were moving to Sugar Land. Mother had Daddy drive by where the Kamps were moving to (on the way out or back from Pappaw's, in Beasley) and Mother said, "This is where I want to live". They had been saving their $$ so they bought a lot for $5,000 and then had the house built. "

(Update) I got the following note from Jackie James: "Alkire Lake was opened much earlier than 1954. My parents bought their lot in 1947 and we moved into our home in late 1948. They bought the property from another Sugar Lander (I'm trying to think of his name) so the property had been opened up before 1947 I would presume. I believe that we had neighbors already there as I don't remember construction going on and I was eight years old when we bought the lot. The Geisslers were our neighbors to the west and Minnie Ulrich had a house a few more lots west of ours but I don't remember when her's was built."