Drop Down MenusCSS Drop Down MenuPure CSS Dropdown Menu

Saturday, September 18, 2010

Bobby Williams, 1935 - 2010


Most old-timers will have heard that Bobby Williams died suddenly this week. Bobby grew up in the Missouri City area and attended Missouri City schools. He was an outstanding football player for the Mustangs, who were Sugar Land's biggest rival. He played for Rice Institute as it was then called. He eventually coached there too, but before that he was head coach at Dulles High School. He was married to Carolyn McCord Williams, a home-grown Sugar Lander. He and Carolyn made their home in Sugar Land for many years. I last saw him and Carolyn at the Sugar Land High School Reunion in June, 2009. I guess you could say he was a Gator-in-law.

For almost a year now, I've been working on a video documentary on Sugar Land High School football in the Kenneth Hall era. I've collected lots of video interviews of players from that era. They all speak highly of Bobby. The City of Sugar Land interviewed him at Kempner Field on the same topic, and they've graciously lent me their video to use in the documentary. I'll use clips in the final cut, but I thought it appropriate to post the full interview now.



3 comments:

  1. His son[Bobby Williams] also played for Rice and has been the AD at SHSU in Huntsville,TX for the last 12 of the 28 years of his career there! Go to www.gobearkats.com[find athletic staff] and read his bio. to see what a fantastic job he has done to which is attributed to Coach Bobby Williams Sr.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our family is absolutely devistated with the untimely passing of our precious Uncle Bobby. I'm so thankful we have this interview to watch. He will be sorely missed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got this comment from Carol Waldrop (DHS '65) "So hated to hear about Coach Williams. I wanted to share this tidbit with you. We all remember where we were when we heard President Kennedy had been shot. I was a junior and in Coach Williams history class when the news came over the PA system. Coach was a terrific guy and had the most beautiful handwriting...I pulled out one of my yearbooks because I remember asking him to sign it. His signature is a work of art."

    ReplyDelete