Drop Down MenusCSS Drop Down MenuPure CSS Dropdown Menu

Saturday, October 15, 2016

News & Updates

As is too often the case, I have sad news to report. I want to thank Ike Hestrie for notifying me that Lee Foy passed away recently. Here is a link to his obituary. I know several members of the Foy family; in fact, Freddie was in my class at Dulles ('68). I'll try to determine how Lee was related to them.

Some of you may remember Robert 'Bo' Harrison who taught at Dulles in the late '60s. (He was Coach Dugan Hightower's nephew.) He too passed away recently.  Click here to view an obituary.

(from the 1968 Dulles Viking yearbook)

A few real old timers (like me) may remember Frank White, a founder of Parker Music Co. in Houston. He sometimes substituted for A. C. Hart, Sugar Land Junior High Band Director, and James Gary, Dulles High Band Director. He passed away recently. I didn't realize he was a Sugar Land resident for so many years. Click here to read an obituary.

Bettye Anhaiser noted the recent death of 93-year old Lillie Sontag, a 30-year resident of Sugar Land. I'm not certain how she's related to the Sontag's I know, but I presume she is related to them. Click here to read her obituary.

My sincerest condolences to the Foy, Harrison, White and Sontag families for the loss of their loved ones. God bless them all.
 
***********

I want to highlight a Kempner High School student's project to honor my old school, now known as Lakeview Elementary. Vianca Jiminez (KHS '16) has created a garden to celebrate the campus's 100th anniversary in 2018, and as a result, she's won a Girl Scout Gold Award. Congratulations to her! Click here to read a Houston Chronicle article on her project.

I also want to mention a correction Charles Farrugia (Clements '90) sent me about the item I posted on his great uncle Alvin Kadlecek. I mistakenly said Gloria was his sister, but actually, she's his mother (formerly Gloria Solomon). I'm sure I know some of Charles's aunts and uncles, but I can't place his mother. Anyway, I want to thank them both for that information. It's a great story.

***********

Finally, I have a few announcements. The first is an invitation to the next meeting of the Fort Bend Archeological Society. (Sorry to give such short notice.) It's on Tuesday, October 18th at 7:00 pm in the Gus George Academy in Richmond.) The guest speakers are Linda Gorski and Louis Aulback of the Houston Archeological Society. Their presentation is "Along the Aurelian Wall - Rome in Ruins - A Self-Guided Walk." If you are interested in archeology, let me know, and I'll give you details on their regular meetings.  

Click the image below to view the latest FBAS monthly newsletter.
 
Linda Gorski & Louis Aulbach.
 
Last but not least, the Sugar Land Heritage Foundation is having a speakeasy-themed fundraiser on Thursday, November 10th. Click the image below to get all the details. I'll have more on this in the future.
 
A scene from the 2015 SLHF Speakeasy Fundraiser.