Drop Down MenusCSS Drop Down MenuPure CSS Dropdown Menu

Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Turn Back The Clock Night At Constellation Park


This Friday (August 9th) is 'Turn Back The Clock Night' at Constellation Field, home of the Sugar Land Skeeters.  This event is a fundraiser for the Sugar Land Heritage Foundation. We've contributed some historical photos and other items to highlight Sugar Land's baseball history and entertain local fans.

Roland Rodriguez, Sr. (SLHS '50) will throw out the ceremonial first pitch.  He and his daughter Pat (DHS '72) brought some pictures for the Skeeters to use on the big scoreboard.  They gave us several pictures, but the real eye-grabber for me was this poster for a double header in July 1950.  

(An addition) My Spanish is very informal, but I like the line on the poster which I loosely translate as "2 local amateur teams defend their outstanding records as they face the powerful All Stars baseball team from Piedras Negras."
 
 
A Mexican team from Piedras Negras was touring Texas and made a stop at Sugar Land's West End Park to face a team from Texas City in the opener and then take on the Sugar Land Imperials in the 2nd game.  I don't think there were any lights, so they played under a baking sun all afternoon.

I know I've become a bore on this, but I want to show where the old West End Park was located in the early 1950s.  Here's an aerial photo from 1952 showing the location of the double header and the future location of Constellation Field.


Sometime later in the '50s the park move directly north of Imperial Boulevard, the road to the right of the park in this picture.  This second location is the one I remember.  Dulles High School played its game there in the late 1960s.

I want to thank the Rodriguez family for giving us images from their family scrapbook.  They are a valuable record of our town's sports history.