Drop Down MenusCSS Drop Down MenuPure CSS Dropdown Menu

Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Photo of The Ruffino Brothers Barbershop in 1959


I never thought I'd find a photo of the interior of the barbershop in the Shopping Center, but I did.  That's J. T. Farrell getting his hair cut by Tony Ruffino.  I don't recognize who's in the middle chair, but I know that's Johnny Ruffino doing the barbering.  I can't see the customer or barber in the first chair near the front window, but the barber was a small man with a metal brace on his leg.  Never knew his name.  

I can't identify any of the other men; maybe someone can help?
 
  
I can remember seeing Bruce get his first haircut in the middle chair in 1953 or '54.  I guess Johnny gave it to him.  Both my parents were there -- it was during my father's lunch hour.  Bruce cried the whole time, but he drew a crowd of onlookers.

I have lots of memories of this barbershop.  I recall my grandfather (Kelly) taking me to get a haircut.  He got his cut and then I got mine.  As he paid Johnny, he said, "My haircut costs $1.25, and his (meaning me) costs just $.50.  That's not right ... he has a lot more hair on his head that I do.  The charges should be reversed."  Johnny laughed.