Drop Down MenusCSS Drop Down MenuPure CSS Dropdown Menu

Tuesday, July 31, 2012

A Short Betty Jenkins Story


I had the opportunity a few years ago to hear several women talk about life in Sugar Land back in the old days.  Betty Jenkins was one of them.  I'll edit her part of the video and post it in the future, but I thought I'd provide a preview with a short, funny tale she told that day.

As her obituary said, the came to Sugar Land in the late '40s when she married Bud Jenkins.  She said one of the first times she went into the old drug store, one of the clerks (a town character) told her she was beautiful.

As she and Bud walked out the door, she discretely pointed at the guy and whispered, "He said I was beautiful."

Her husband Bud said, "Aw, don't pay any attention to him.  He says that to every woman who walks in here."

Here are a couple of photos of the old drug store -- the one that stood in front of the refinery until 1952.

Sometime around 1910
Sometime in the '30s

1 comment:

  1. I'm not sure, but I think that may be Dr. Slaugther, center, in the drug store.

    Perhaps someone can verify it.

    ReplyDelete