Drop Down MenusCSS Drop Down MenuPure CSS Dropdown Menu

Monday, April 30, 2012

Miscellaneous Old Photos


Beverly Lampson put me onto a Facebook site ("Southwest Houston - Do You Remember When?) with some great pictures of old Houston.  Many of them are personal snap shots of life in the  '50s & '60s.  Here are a sampling of a few things I liked.  

Those of you my age will remember the Fort Bend County Library's Book Mobile.  It made semi-monthly (I think) visits during the school year.  When I attended Sugar Land Elementary, it stopped on the driveway between the circles about where the tennis courts stood.  This won't make sense to youngsters, but it will to old timers.


In early 1962 the Houston Sports Association, owners of the Colt .45s, put up a temporary building by the old Colt Stadium construciton site.  They wanted to promote the club before the season started in April.  They had souvenirs and all types of marketing stuff,  some of it free.  I remember nagging my father into stopping one Sunday afternoon.  I picked up a handful of round, orange-and-blue decals with the Colt logo on them.  Bruce & I put them on the windshield and windows of my dad's work car.  


I recall putting one on the front windshield where it obstructed the driver's (Dad's) view.  When he got back from work on Monday afternoon, I saw the crinkled remnants of the offending decal clinging to the windshield.  My dad gave us/me a mild lecture on the importance of an unobstructed view through a car's windshield.  Here's a picture of the building where we got the decals.




One last baseball-related item since baseball is the theme of the week.  The Facebook site had this picture & article about a game between Ellington Field and Hughes Tool at old Buff Stadium.  I don't have a date, but it must be from the early '50s.  My guess is this game was not part of the Post's semi-pro baseball tournament played each summer until 1952.  I assume the teams played in Buff Stadium while the Buffs were on the road.  I'll bet the Fort Bend Jaybirds played both teams.