Drop Down MenusCSS Drop Down MenuPure CSS Dropdown Menu

Sunday, April 3, 2011

Sugar Land vs Hempstead in Class B Region 5 Championship, 1952


I may have mentioned this before, but I recently received a box of 16-mm film from Fred Melton, Jr. He's a graduate of Dulles High School (Class of '66) as well as a former coach there. He collected this film when the athletic department decided to 'clean out its closet' & dispose of unwanted items. Among the reels was a real treasure in my opinion. It was an 18-minute film of the Regional Championship Game Sugar Land played against Hempstead in December, 1952. Carlos Tarver (SLHS '53) & I have had it digitized to DVD format.


I've provided the following post-game article printed in The Texas Coaster, which gives you necessary details. As you can tell, Kenneth Hall had a whale of a game. (My thanks to the Chuzzy Jenkins family for giving me this clipping. Of course, my thanks go to Fred for letting me digitize the film.)



I've made a 4-minute sample of the film which you can see by clicking the link below. If you're interested in a copy of this rarity, send me an email message or post a comment to this blog entry. I'll make you a DVD with additional documents & photos if you'll contribute $10 to defray shipping & handling. I want to remind you that Ron Miller (SLHS '51) has written, Halling The Ball, his memoir of playing football for the Gators in the early 1950s. Click here for a table of contents. Send me an email message or post a comment if you're interested in a copy.

Link to 4-minute video sample of the '52 Hempstead Regional Game