Drop Down MenusCSS Drop Down MenuPure CSS Dropdown Menu

Monday, March 1, 2010

Sugar Land High's First Fight Song


I found this item in T. C. Rozelle's archive. The caption explains that the photo was a promotion for the Alligator Reunion in the summer of 1984.

I assume they intended to sing the old Sugar Land High fight song that night because T. C. also saved a handout with the lyrics on it. This is the fight song students played and sang until Jim Gary wrote a new one in the early 1950s.

The old fight song was sung to the tune of the Washington & Lee Swing. (My brother pointed out that Ike Kempner, Sr. attended Washington & Lee College.) I've included a link so you can hear the tune.


Funny thing - as soon as I showed this to my mother (SLHS '49), she began singing it right away. She remembered the tune, phrasing and everything. We may need to record some old-timers singing this. (I'll have an update on this topic next week. Another old-timer remembers an 'unofficial' fight song that was sung to the tune of the Notre Dame Victory March.)