Drop Down MenusCSS Drop Down MenuPure CSS Dropdown Menu

Sunday, February 21, 2010

Sugar Land High School Track Meet, late 1950s


I recently borrowed a DVD from Dot Hightower and her daughter, Scotty Bass. It has footage from a couple of Sugar Land High School football games from the 1956 season. The games are the Bi-District Championship against Orchard and the Regional Championship against Barbers Hill. Naturally, Sugar Land won both games to claim the Regional Championship.


The tail-end of the DVD had a short clip of a track meet on it. I can recognized two participants - Butch Boyd and Punt Helmcamp. My best guess is that the meet occurred in the spring of 1958. I have no idea of it's location. Maybe an old-timer can provide that info.

Anyway, I think it's a real treasure.

1 comment:

  1. I got a note from an old-timer (Jon Pitts, DHS '61) who had some info on this clip. Here's what he said, "I guess that I am that 'old-timer' that you are talking about, so here goes, you are right about the year 1958.
    It shows parts of two track meets. The first one I am pretty sure is at Barbers Hill. You are right also that Punt and Butch are easy to pick out, some of the others that I could pick out right away are Bobby Borowski, Larry 'Sapio' Martinez, Robert Saldua and Bill Lucky. I will keep looking and see if I can identify any more."

    ReplyDelete