Drop Down MenusCSS Drop Down MenuPure CSS Dropdown Menu

Sunday, February 21, 2010

14th Annual Summer Band School Program, 1962


For several consecutive summers FBISD organized trips to band camp at Tarleton State Teachers College in Stephenville, Texas. (It's now a part of the A&M System.) Linda Hagler Mosk (DHS '68) saved this concert program for the 14th annual camp in 1962. Many thanks to Linda for letting me scan it.


I think this was the first year I attended. Bradley Grimes was my roommate. (We had just finished the 6th grade and both played cornet.) I remember the tuition was $25 for a 5-day session; I know because my father gave me a check to give the registrar at enrollment on the first day, a Sunday if I recall correctly. The school ended with a concert of both bands on Thursday evening.

A doughnut shop across the main drag from the campus was a hot spot when we had free time. The pin-ball machine got a lot of business.


Notice that Linda got Clarence Sawhill and Hilmar Wagner to sign her program. Mr. Sawhill was director of bands at UCLA. All his summer students admired him. He was a superb teacher and mentor to young band students. I don't recall much about Mr. Wagner, but he must have been a pretty good guy, too.

I've posted one of Linda's photos from this camp in an earlier entry on this blog.