Drop Down MenusCSS Drop Down MenuPure CSS Dropdown Menu

Saturday, February 13, 2010

Photos of Prominent Early Sugar Landers


These photos come from T.C. Rozelle's archive. Most of them were used in company promotions and press releases. Many appear in newspaper articles. The candid photos of W.T. Eldridge, Sr. in his office are fascinating to me and a little artistic.
(Note: The handwriting under some of the photos is T.C.'s.)

This photo of I.H. Kempner, Sr. must date from sometime around WWI - a few years after he and W.T. Eldridge, Sr. formed Sugarland Industries.



I assume the photo on the far-right shows Mr. Eldridge at his desk in the old Imperial - Sugarland Industries office. He looks like he means business in the middle photo.



The photo on the right shows Gus Ulrich relaxing on the porch of his home on Venice - I guess. I'll have to check a photo of his home to see if it had a porch. My mother has told me Gus was know for wearing spectator shoes - like the ones you see in this photo.



The following photo shows Harry Thompson, General Manager of Imperial Sugar for many years.



The following is a picture of W.T. Eldridge, Jr. He and his family lived in the large, white-stucco home on the south side of Highway 90A southeast of his father's home. They were both built in a Mediterranean style by William Ward Watkin, I think. Eldridge, Jr. was an unsuccessful businessman and died of a self-inflicted gun shot wound in the late 1920s.