Drop Down MenusCSS Drop Down MenuPure CSS Dropdown Menu

Saturday, October 24, 2015

More People of Old Sugar Land


If I have posted the next 4 photos before, they are worth repeating because they show the citizens of Sugar Land getting their picture taken.  (The photos are sections of a very large panoramic print.  It would be impossible to show the unsegmented photo on this blog.)

'Photo Day' was probably a very rare event at the time.  I've looked as closely as possible, and I can't confirm there are any cars in the shot, so my guess is this photo was taken well before WWI.
 
Far left quarter of the panorama showing the 1903 train depot.

Left-middle quarter showing stores, cafe, barber/beauty shop and part of the General Mercantile Store.

Right-middle quarter showing the General Mercantile Store, Drug Store and Imperial Offices with the refinery in the background.

Far right quarter showing the Imperial Offices and more of the refinery.  (The camera appears to be located at the intersection of Brooks St. and Highway 90A.

I've forgotten who posted this photo on Facebook, but my thanks go to the anonymous sharer.  It shows a selection of Dulles High's Class of '73 when they were 4th graders at Sugar Land Elementary.
 

Joan Maresh Hansen (DHS '68) sent me the next photo.  Someone found it in a closet at Dulles High School recently, and wondered who the girls were.  I can't identify the younger girl, but the other is Debbie Duggan Gamble (DHS '69).
 
 
The following photo shows Frances Koon Tise (SLHS '48) posing on a concrete bridge on Oil Field Road.  I think this photo must date from around 1948.
 

The next photo shows children swimming in the pool at the Humble Camp, which was located on Oil Field Road just north of the levee.  I think the photo dates from around 1940.  That may be my mother in the pool with her feet sticking out of the water.  I think that's my aunt (Mayme Rachuig Haus, SLHS '48) behind the boy and girl on the right of the group.
 

And last but not least, we have Pam Bartolo Moody (DHS '71) riding a bronco at Kiddie Wonder Land on South Main.  Note the boots.  (Thanks, Pam.)