Drop Down MenusCSS Drop Down MenuPure CSS Dropdown Menu

Sunday, June 17, 2012

An Aerial View of Sugar Land's South Side


I got a request for photos of the Grand Central area of Sugar Land.  (Grand Central was the Sugarland Industries complex of farm buildings between Oyster Creek and Highway 6, roughly opposite Alkire Lake and Venetian Estates residential areas.)  I think Sugar Land's Home Depot store sits on the approximate spot today.

Unfortunately, I don't have a good photo of the area.  The following aerial is the best I can do.  Grand Central is just outside its top edge, but you can still see some of its northern-most area.  Note San Isidro Cemetery and the railroad track leading to the Galveston docks.  The upper-right corner shows a complex of buildings on the Creek. I believe this is where Mr. C. A. Coburn, Sr. lived.  He was the head of cattle-raising operations for the Industries.  A little east of those buildings you can see a road running straight south to the top edge of the photo.  I think the house on the east side of that road is Captain Brooks's old home.  He was head of farming operations for the Industries from the beginning to the mid-1930s.


2 comments:

  1. In what year was this photo taken?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not exactly sure, but my best guess is between 1947 and 1954.

      Delete