Drop Down MenusCSS Drop Down MenuPure CSS Dropdown Menu

Monday, October 25, 2010

Sugar Land High School Band, 1940s


This entry contains more photos from the Blair family album. They helped me determine when SLHS converted it's drum & bugle corps to a coed band. The conversion occurred just before the 1941 football season.


Buddy and Billie gave me the first two pictures below, which show Beanie Blair Petrosky in the 'new' band uniforms. Her younger siblings, Bertha and Buddy, appear in the second picture. Buddy was in the 5th grade, so they pulled students from much lower grades to participate in the band. That must have been a treat for those younger students.


My aunt, Mayme Rachuig Hause (SLHS '48), gave me the third picture. It shows Hattie Mae Woods in 1947. I don't know if she was the yell squad sponsor at this point, but she was still the high school girls' phys ed teacher.



My aunt gave me the following scans, which come from photos taken in the 1946/7 school year. The first shows the band's drum major and majorettes. From left-to-right: Sally Rachuig Kelly (my mother), Margie Wappler Buchanan, Taz Watson, and Gloria Laperouse Krehmeier. The second shows Taz Watson, and the last shows the entire band on the stage in the school auditorium (now the Lakeview Elementary Auditorium). The band director was Mr. Jerry L. Bryan. His young son Butch (in the white uniform) was the band's mascot.



The next picture shows the Gator band marching in the Fat Stock Show & Rodeo parade in the late winter of 1947. They are passing the Rice Hotel on Main Street.