Drop Down MenusCSS Drop Down MenuPure CSS Dropdown Menu

Monday, December 17, 2012

Merry Moppet Kindergarten


I'll have to ask my mother for more details about the Merry Moppet Kindergarten, but I know the general history.  I'm not sure when Mrs. Boyer retired from teaching kindergarten, but sometime around 1961 my mother and her sister started a kindergarten in Sugar Land.  My uncle built them a two-room school on Highway-90A roughly where the Frost Bank building now stands.  When Sugar Land State Bank decided to build a new office on that spot two years later (i.e., today's Frost building after considerable remodeling), they had to move the building.

Bob Armstrong sold them the lot at the corner of Wood and Lakeview where the school (under a new name) still stands.  I can't recall exactly when they sold the school, but I think it was around 1972.

Here's a little-known fact.  The head of the Texas Rangers (not the baseball team), Tony Leal, attended Merry Moppet Kindergarten.

I want to thank Haroldetta Robertson for providing me a scan of her son's Merry Moppet diploma.