Drop Down MenusCSS Drop Down MenuPure CSS Dropdown Menu

Saturday, November 10, 2012

Lonnie Green, Sugar Land's Lone Combat Death in WW I


My brother Bruce Kelly wrote the following article on Alonzo Richmond 'Lonnie' Green.  He died of combat wounds in World War I making him Sugar Land's only soldier killed in the Great War.  His story is well worth reading.  The small park at Wood and First Streets is named after him.






I have a small bonus to add to Lonnie Green's story.  I found the following postcard in T. C. Rozelle's archive.  It's from Otto Martin to a Sugar Land resident, Mrs. I. G. Wirtz, Sr.  (I'm not sure Otto was a Sugar Land resident.)  He sent it a little over a month after the War was over.  He must have served in the occupational forces stationed in Munich, which saw considerable tumult after the Armistice.

Anyway, it is a good example of mail soldiers sent back home.  Otto was in Battery A of the 344th Regiment in the First Artillery Division, if I'm reading the card correctly.  I presume that's the censor's approval at the bottom center of the front of the card.