Drop Down MenusCSS Drop Down MenuPure CSS Dropdown Menu

Saturday, October 6, 2012

Sugar Land Pair Win La Conga Cup in 1940


I posted this picture 2 years ago when I found it in a scrapbook my grandmother Kelly kept.  I spoke with Betty Friend Cordes a few weeks ago on the phone.  I want to talk with her again.  I hope I can get more information on this story.

The article says the dance contest was tied in with the Mickey Rooney - Judy Garland movie, "Strike Up The Band," which was released on September 20, 1940.  Rooney & Garland danced "The La Conga" in the movie, so local kids were given the challenge of performing the new craze in a contest at The Plantation Room on South Main not far from Playland Park.

If I'm correct about the date, Betty was a 17-year old senior at Sugar Land High School.  Arthur 'Skeet' Guenther was a 16-year old junior.