Drop Down MenusCSS Drop Down MenuPure CSS Dropdown Menu

Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Lions Club Pancake Supper, March 29, 1956


Linda Hagler Mosk found another gem in her family's archive.  The Lions Club held a pancake supper on March 29, 1956.  I think they held the event in the meeting hall on the 2nd story of the old Salvage Building.  The structure stood in what is now an empty field on the north side of Kempner Street between Main and Wood.  Many community events occurred there since it was one of the larger meeting rooms in old Sugar Land.  As you can see it was equipped with a kitchen.

This first item is a photo that appeared in The Fort Bend Mirror.  It's a poor quality picture, but I wanted to provide the caption.


Linda said her father (on the far left) got an original print of another photo taken that night.  I recognize Don Hagler, Cliff Nygren, Fred Sciba, Hal Rucker and Fred Baker.  I'm not sure about the others, but I think I know who is dressed up as Aunt Jemima.  I think that's Katie Robinson, head cook at the Haas Cafe.  You can see the top of her face -- she's standing just in front of the man at the very back.  She's very short and wearing glasses.  Her skills as a cook were renown, so I can imagine they wanted her to supervise the amateurs.