Drop Down MenusCSS Drop Down MenuPure CSS Dropdown Menu

Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Dulles Football Season Tickets, 1966


My thanks go to Linda Hagler Mosk (DHS '68) for sending me this clipping she found recently.  Notice how they sold season tickets -- you could go right to the top (Superintendent Edward Mercer) if you wanted to!  Also notice the ticket prices.


I happened to remember all those games.  Angleton gave me the worst beating I ever got in a football game.  Lamar Consolidated smeared 40-0.  Smeared was the term we used for serious drubbings in the old days.  

Here's a personal story from that game. Most Dulles alums near my age know my grandmother, Mamie Rachuig, was Registrar at Dulles High School.  I have a cousin, Bob Bass (almost exactly my age), who played football for the Mustangs.  This was a big game for my grandmother because her two oldest grandsons were playing on opposing teams.  Since the game was played in Rosenberg, she sat with Bob's family on the Lamar side of the field.  As I've said, things didn't go well for us.  (I can remember lots of details about that game, unfortunately.)

I learned afterward that my grandmother had very mixed feelings about the game.  Lamar had a very good team and beat the tar out of us.  (That's a good euphemism you don't hear much anymore.)  The Lamar crowd was ecstatic.  Of course, my grandmother knew all of the Dulles players and felt so bad for us she shed a few tears.  

No problem.  We got 'em the next season.